We set off to watch Neils band perform their first gig. After over a year of band practises at the weekend, banging drums, terrible singers and constant headaches, they had got it together and were ready to perform.
The gig was held at Bernaccia - a bar stuck up a steep cobbled road near the quayside in Newcastle. We arranged to meet my Dad and Paula there. I was more surprised that my Dad and her were going to come to see him, for no other reason than rock music is not quite their thing! When I saw the hill we had to climb to get there, I knew my Dad would struggle...... not only were we going to give his ears a pounding, but we were trying to squeeze out every last breath he had prematurely. However, we took a slow pace up the hill and got settled in the bar to hear them perform.
The first band came on and the look on everyone faces implicated it was time for a sharp exit. Whoever told the guy he could sing was a nutter! It took me back to the band practise days when Ben was singing (I use the term loosley) in Neils band. Once their half hour spot was over it was time for Concept Arcadia to make an appearance.
I knew what to expect as I had heard the demo CD they had done, but for my Dad and Paula it was a first. They both seemed to enjoy the music for what it was - not their thing, but ok to listen to. A definite improvement on the first band! Dad even commented how much better they were and although I suspect it may be his first and last gig, he seemed to enjoy watching his grandson perform. Neil was really surprised and pleased his Grandad and Auntie Paula had come along to see him play. I was proud of how well they have done since the early days and the promotor seemed keen to offer them a few more gigs.
The band members were buzzing with the adrenalin the performance had sent rushing round their bodies. It was great to see them all so excited and happy. A good night, good music and a great first gig.
When they get to play at Wembley to a sell out audience I will have to fly home to see them again!

No comments:
Post a Comment