Tuesday, 26 February 2008

Day one in Darwin.


After a good lazy lie in we ventured to the shopping centre at Casuarina. We picked up a few bits and pieces and then feet still pulsating and blisters sore we headed off to meet Aaron and a few of his mates. The bus journey was an enlightening experience on its own. I had my first experience of the "locals". I couldn't understand any of the words other than the obscenities the man was firing at his wife/partner, and the driver ended up throwing them off the bus as the man became very offensive. Not the most pleasant mannered or friendly people I have come across since I got here. It didnt take long!! I still have a relatively open mind though - Im sure not everyone is same.

We met Aaron on Mitchel Street (where all the back-packers stay) in a bar called Wisdom, had one drink then moved on to Shennigans for a few more drinks and a "feed" (as the locals say) then finished the night in Discovery. Sitting outside Shennigans I was mesmorised by the bats - not only are they huge, but there are loads of them. I was fascinated watching them swoop from tree to tree. They are not popular here due to the damage they do to the foliage and crops, but that did not stop my fascination with them.

The last place we went to was not what I am used to in a pub/club - but a really great night all the same. Live music was really good and they sang a few great old tunes It gave me a chance to demonstrate the Geordie dancing skills and finished the night off quite well. The dress code was the best I have come across in all my years - there just wasnt one! Its a good job I hadn't put make up on (other than waterproof mascara ) as it would have been around my waistline by the time we hit the last bar.

The lads were all great company and despite them being around Neils age we seemed to hit it off pretty well and had a lot to chat about as the night went on - maybe that was the beer!!! That brings me on to my fear of not finding a drink I liked as much as blue WKD. First bar - Vodka Cruisers - 5 flavours - I was happy! I drank them out of the blue ones and then worked my way through the other flavours - I think I might like it here after all.

The weather has been a bit of a mix so far - torrential rain (though locally known a a shower) warm sticky air and a lovely breeze. I must admit, if it rained like this at home we would head off indoors - however, in Darwin, you just get a little further under the canopy and carry on drinking your beer.
When we got back to the house there were noises that sounded like ducks coming from the house next door -Mark told me the noise was actually frogs - they sound like ducks!! Must be an accent thing.
I havent made it into the pool yet - but I dont think it will be long before I am sitting in there drinking my beer for most of the day if as I have been told, this has been one of the colder days!

No comments: