Monday, 4 February 2008

For all the sports fans.

Mark went off to watch Newcastle v Middlesborough - a local football derby. Should be fun, especially the way things are with Newcastle Utd at the moment!
BBC were showing the Scotland v France 6 nations game this afternoon. I decided to watch it, not that I am the biggest rugby fan in the world, but because Scotland were playing at Murrayfield - home sweet home.
The pipers played Flower of Scotland, the team rather emotionally sang along. There is no other song in the world that makes me feel the way our national anthem does. The tune, the words make me fill with national pride every time I hear it. Hence the fact I have a CD of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards to take to Darwin with me!
Scotland gets off to a good start, Parks scores with a drop kick which puts us 3 points ahead in the first 3 minutes. France scored a try from a forward pass which caused a bit of bad feeling. Henderson gets into a bit of bother over a head butt to a french team member. No yellow or red card, just a penalty. From then on, well .......... lets just say it's 6 - 17 to France at half time. Scotland dominated the first half but made some costly mistakes, hence the score.
The second half was France dominated, they came out on fire! Sadly Scotland didn't even smoulder. Patterson came on, I hoped this would give the Scots their fighting spirit. A massive points difference didn't seem to get them going - all was lost. Two out of three line outs Scotland didn't even jump for the ball! Minutes before the final whistle Scotland almost scored a try with Patterson just falling short of the line, the fighting spirit seemed to come back, sadly way too late.
Final score was 6 - 27. A real arse kicking!!!
Even so, my Scottish pride doesn't disappear, let's face it - we lose more than we win, so I'm pretty used to it.
Newcastle drew with a goal each to Middlesborough at the football. Looks like none of my teams have had a great day. King Kev (Kevin Keegan) doesn't seem to have worked the magic we all expect from him - it's early days I suppose.

No comments: