Thursday, 31 July 2008

Welcome back to Darwin.

A pretty eventful week by all accounts - lots of highs and lots of lows.
Thursday morning Mark shouted to me that my car had been stolen - to which I replied "You're joking" - thinking he was. He asked if I had parked on the street, why, I don't know as he had already checked. I said I hadn't and realised he was not joking as I had first thought. Yes - it had gone and I realised moments later, so had my keys! Must have left them on the table outside. I prefer to believe that than to believe they had been in the house and stolen them as we slept!
No insurance and a good news call from the police that the car had been recovered, undamaged but with no keys. Fortunately the culprits ( for want of a better word) had left a mobile phone (probably stolen) in the car as they ran from the police when they were apprehended. Just waiting for a call from the police to say forensic have finished with the car and I can call the locksmith and mechanic to cut keys and disable the immobiliser so I can bring the car home.
We changed the locks on the doors to the house as soon as we realised my keys were missing. Another expense we could have done without as we are saving desperately for our deposit on the house.
That brings me to the next high and low. The building report came through and there were a few problems with the house. Reports not done and incorrect certification on the work that had been done. You know how it is with conveyancers and real estate agents......... a bit of bartering and phone calls to all concerned to see if the price could be reduced or certification obtained. Alls well that ends well, so we get the keys for our first home together on the 8th August.
A tricky week, but I know it could have been much worse. Stay tuned!

No comments: