Great news - we found out on my way to the airport that our offer on the house had been accepted!! Yippee!!!!! All we are waiting for is the finance to go through - finger crossed there will be no hiccups there. Finally we can start to make plans and settle in our own home.
Sitting in Darwin International I was not looking forward to travelling back home. I knew it would be a long flight and I would have to find my way round both Singapore and Dubai airports, this time on my own.
Once I got on my Jetstar flight to Singapore I was thrilled that the 2 seats beside me were empty! That meant only one thing..... spread out and sleep as soon as we took off. That had to be the bonus for the day and I knew that somewhere along the way I would have to pay for that small piece of comfort.
Once I got to Singapore it was all pretty straight forward. I collected my case, filled in my visa and went straight to the check-in for the next flight. So far, so good.
I arrived at the gate in plenty of time, waiting patiently for the gate to open it was suddenly packed with young middle eastern women waiting to get on the flight. I swear I was going to be the only white woman with no head dress on for that leg of the journey! The majority of the young women got off and changed flights when we landed for a short stop over in Colombo - it was definitely quieter from there on. Again, the flight was pretty uneventful with me just waking up to be fed.
Dubai was a little busier and the time between flights was a lot shorter. I managed to get my Lambert and Butler from the duty free shop and then headed straight for the gate. I had no sooner got there and it was time to board, so finally I was on the last leg of the journey - next stop Newcastle!
We seemed to be sat on the plane for a long time in Dubai, long after the scheduled take off. The Captain then announced there had been a security threat in the airport and that it had been shut down while they checked over an incoming flight. As we finally taxied for take off, I could see another Emirates flight on the runway surrounded with flashing lights and various vehicles. Never mind - we finally took off, even if it was almost an hour late.
Just as the plane was passing over Russia I was woken up by an announcement by the Captain. He explained we would be stopping in Warsaw, Poland, as one of the passengers had been taken ill and it was a medical emergency. We started our descent and soon landed in Warsaw airport with an ambulance waiting to take the lady to hospital. I later found out she was an Aussie lady from Brisbane who was travelling alone. She had a fit during the flight and this was why we had to stop.
The delay became greater as we had to re-fuel and then wait for a slot to take off again. 2 hours later and we were finally on our way to Newcastle Airport - 3 hours later than scheduled! Bang goes my plans to surprise Liam at school!
As I landed in Newcastle I gave Dad a ring to let him know I had finally arrived and arranged to call him as soon as I had picked up my case and got through customs.
As I was walking along to meet him I bumped into Paula and Liam coming out of the doors. Liams face was an absolute picture - he just stared open mouthed in utter disbelief, he couldnt even speak! That picture is one I will hold in my mind for years to come. I think he was surprised to see me, he thought I wasnt coming home until saturday.
I had to go and watch Liam at his football training and I froze in the lovely north east breeze. I cant believe how cold it felt! I must have gone soft in the last few months.
When we got back, Neil was here waiting to see me. I got a massive hug - that made up for the long flight and delays. It was so good to see all the family again. Now they can make plans to come and visit us, we will have somewhere for them all to stay now.
I finally had the chicken tikka massalla I have dreamt about for the past 4 months and it was every bit as good as I imagined! Good food and surrounded by family, what more could I ask for?
Ahhhhhh - Home sweet home!

No comments:
Post a Comment