Tuesday, 1 April 2008

Wheels of Steel.

On Sunday it was the first game of the hockey season for Mark and the Tigers. It was a 2pm start and the sun was blazing down. How they managed to run around for the full game I will never know! It was red hot in the shade just sitting spectating. At one point I had to go for a walk to find a breeze and cool down - fair play to the team - they battled on through the heat and won the game. It was a close call towards the end, but they managed to hold off and claim their victory. Mark got the Man of the match mug to keep for the week - so he was pretty pleased with himself, a bit confused as to how he got it, but pleased all the same.
Due to his excessive consumption of Melbourne stubbies that followed their victory I had to have my first driving experience in Darwin since we arrived here. That in itself was an experience and a half!
The Ute we have borrowed is a little on the elderly side and has to be driven with TLC. Its like nothing I have ever driven in my life! The handbrake comes out from the dashboard, the clutch is a bit sticky and the accelerator is extremely sensitive. Oh, and the indicators stick every now and again. As you can see, she is a beauty! The journey from the hockey field was a little precarious due to the combination of driving a strange vehicle and unfamiliar roads.
I managed to drive to work and back yesterday, using the right lanes, not missing any turnings and without too much stress.
I have mastered the art of driving in Oz!
Don't know if I'm brave enough to venture much further though at this moment in time! I think I will wait until later on tonight to go shopping too - the roads are quieter. I don't want to upset the local road-users at such an early stage of my time in Darwin.

No comments: