After a conversation about being desperate to go home, how boring Darwin was and how difficult it is to meet people here, I was offered a theatre ticket to go and see a play called "Tracy" at the Brown's Mart Theatre.
I was picked up by Maxine, (who works with me), her husband Aaron and a friend of theirs called Chris. That alone extended my social circle twice over!!!
We started with dinner at the Ducks Nuts - which I have to say was great! The food is excellent and I would go there again. That was my first of two new experiences for the night.
Next came the theatre - not the Tyne Theatre by any stretch of the imagination, but a quaint old place, it was small, but it definitely served the purpose. The play started to a packed audience - culture in Darwin appears to be a strange and rare thing - thats not including the culture many people have growing between their toes up here!
I was a little lost in the beginning, it seemed to go from year to year, person to person, with very little warning. I soon worked out that it was the story of how 2 people came to be in Darwin in 1974 - one english, one aboriginal.
Once the story unfolded it gave a great insight how it must have been to have lived through the cyclone that virtually wiped Darwin out. Especially as the play was based around Alawa, and the Alawa Primary school (across the road from where I live now) which became a safe haven after the cyclone passed through and destroyed all the houses.
A great night, a bit of Darwins history, some much needed culture and some new friends - things are looking up!

No comments:
Post a Comment